Here are the top five tips that will help you best prepare your home for the spring market:
1. Hire an experienced agent. This sounds obvious, but a lot of people hire an agent just because they’re friends, or they try selling the home themselves. You should look for an agent who’s recently listed and sold several properties. When they come to your house, they should be able to articulate how to follow through on the other items on this list.
2. Declutter. When it comes to selling, the less clutter, the better. Clear off your countertops, organize your shelves, and remove any furniture that makes the space around it look smaller.
3. Take care of all the little household repairs. If your home has wood rot on the outside or a hanging gutter, that can make it look like it’s in a state of disrepair, take care of those items. Buyers will ask you to fix them anyway, so take care of them before listing your home.
4. Perform general landscaping. Mow the lawn, trim the bushes, plant some new flowers, etc. This will make your home look like someone actually cares for it.
5. Repaint with updated colors. This is a pretty cheap upgrade you can make yourself, but make sure the job looks like a professional did it.
Bonus tip: If your home is carpeted and that carpet is old and worn out, replace it.
There’s a lot more that goes into preparing a home for the market, so if you’d like to know more about this subject, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.
As always, if you have any other real estate questions, feel free to reach out to me as well. I’d love to help you.